Welcome - willkommen!


Blogging in English und auf Deutsch.
English: A key topic of this blog certainly is Bullying, and what can be done against it.
Deutsch: Ein Kernthema dieses Blogs is ganz sicherlich Mobbing, und was dagegen getan werden kann.
E: There are still lots of other topics here, too - feel free to cruise around and take a look :-)!
D: Es gibt aber auch noch viele andere Themen - schaut Euch einfach um :-)!
E: I look forward to comments on my blog entries!
D: Ich freue mich über Kommentare zu meinen Blog-Einträgen!

In the banner picture: Libera.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mick Karn (July 24th 1958 – January 4th 2011)



In the beginning 1980's,
when I discovered the British band
JAPAN,
I not only encountered,
by their singer
David Sylvian,
a voice that would be special to me
over the decades
until today.


I discovered their bass player


Apart from the bass guitar,
he played many instruments,
he sang,
 composed music,
wrote lyrics,
he drew and painted,
and he was a sculptor.

Yet,
was what hit me.
It was like nothing I had ever heard before:
Melodic, complex,
downright unpredictable,
iconic, archetypal,
and of the utmost beauty.

No one among my friends
back then in the 1980's
and until now
ever shared my fascination
for Mick's way of making music.

I did not care.
And I still don't.
I am used to finding stuff
that gets into the very core of me
as if it belonged there from the beginning
and yet
is something that is mine alone
because
no one else I know can really get on board with it
or even knows about it in the first place.

It is a lonely way of cherishing things.
But: I don't mind.

I am glad that I found Mick's music,
that it has been so fascinating for me
over all these years,
and this will always be so.

Godspeed, Mick.
I'll see you in another life, brother.

______________________________


Listen to one of Mick's songs here:

Mick Karm
feat. David Sylvian
BUOY

______________________________


Music of Mick Karn
on CD and as MP3 download
here

______________________________

.

No comments: